Monday, April 20, 2015

What's In My Grocery Cart?

Crazy Diet - Aisle 100?

I cannot even guess the number of times I have been asked "well then what DO you eat?". When I got hit with all these allergies and diet restrictions in my mid-20s, I literally was shocked and so very confused. I made some bad choices, have accidentally eaten some of my no-foods (and paid the price), but I also learned a lot along the way. Today's post is a sneak peak into my favorite foods and what's in my grocery cart. I don't need a fancy market for my needs - Kroger fits me just fine!

Here's a summary of what I'm dealing with:
  • Gluten Intolerance
  • Tree Nut Allergy
  • Lactose Intolerance
  • Sesame Seed Allergy
Along with that, I try to avoid MSG (causes me to have asthma attacks) as well as aspartame (causes severe belly issues). I am careful to read all labels on every single item I pick up and even consider putting in my cart. This is the number one lesson I can teach you - READ THE LABELS! You have to learn about all these hidden ingredients that are in our foods. As you begin to read the labels on your quick and easy frozen dinners for example, you might just be shocked. If I cannot pronounce it, I don't eat it!

Also, I try to shop primarily the parameter of the store. This really helps you to stay focused on the most essential nutrient-dense items. I do wander in occasionally for specific ingredients but the majority of my time is spent outside of the aisles.

Let's break this down by section. The items I have listed are what I keep in stock. Obviously I don't use them up every week so they come and go off my list but they are my go-to items. I also have to vary my items by season and availability, so keep that in mind.

  1. Produce - Fruit (depends on what is in season)
    1. Organic Apples
    2. Bananas
    3. Organic Red Grapes
    4. Organic Blueberries
    5. Organic Strawberries
    6. Melon (honeydew or cantaloupe)
    7. Mango
  2. Produce - Vegetables
    1. Organic Baby Carrots
    2. Organic Celery Hearts
    3. Organic Baby Spinach
    4. Cucumber
    5. Bell Peppers (organic when available)
  3. Produce - Other
    1. Sweet Onion
    2. Sweet Potato (love the microwavable ones)
    3. Acorn Squash
    4. Spaghetti Squash
  4. Dairy
    1. Organic Lactose Free Milk (Horizon or Organic Valley)
    2. Organic Large Brown Eggs
    3. Lifeway Keifer (plain)
    4. Sargento Natural Cheese Snacks (hard cheese is low in lactose)
    5. Simply Bliss Coffee Creamer or So Delicious Coffee Creamer
    6. Ranch Dressing (Simply Dressed is my favorite)
  5. Meat
    1. Organic Chicken Breasts (2)
  6. Frozen
    1. Gluten Free Frozen Waffles (Vans)
    2. Gluten Free Frozen Pizza (Udi's)
    3. Gluten Free Cinnamon Raisin Bread (Udi's)
    4. Gluten Free Millet and Chia Bread (Udi's)
    5. Frozen Mixed Berries
    6. Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia Fro-Yo (1 pint)
    7. Frozen Vegetables (any variety - sometimes specific to a recipe)
  7. Miscellaneous Items
    1. Organic Chicken Broth
    2. Popcorn (for air-popper)
    3. Sunflower Butter or Earth Balance Peanut Butter and Coconut Spread
    4. Organic Jam
    5. York Peppermint Patties (snack size)
    6. Brown Basmati Rice
    7. Ginger Ale
    8. Organic Ginger Tea Bags, Organic Peppermint Tea Bags, Yogi Detox Tea Bags
    9. K-Cups of Coffee for the Keurig
    10. Organic Pasta Sauce
Well there you have it - my grocery cart in a nutshell. Of course sometimes there are sales and specials and so extra items meander their way into my cart but I wanted you to get a sense of the options that are out there (including what I splurge on). And this is without going to specialty stores like Trader Joes or Whole Foods, which offer even more variety and options. I love that with the Kroger Plus Card, they track my most commonly purchased foods (especially store brand) and will send me coupons for these items in the mail! Yes, you really can save money and eat right!

When you make a decision, or are forced, to eliminate a food from your diet, it is NOT the end of the world. It will be hard but you will learn you are not condemned to a life of salads with no dressing, I promise! I encourage you to get on Pinterest and start searching for recipes. Look on Amazon for allergy free cook books and resources. There is so much information and options out there just waiting for you! And trust me, with a little patience, you'll be eating yummy food that doesn't cause you grief in no time!

Please feel free to comment with more great items you've found in your store!

No comments:

Post a Comment