Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Hormone Management

Managing Hormones the Natural Way

Hormones - is there anything women don't blame on hormones? Some women are blessed with cycles that are predictable and they sail through with hardly a hiccup. Then there are those that never know what the next day might hold. The majority of women will find themselves somewhere in between these two extremes.

My story - around 14 years old I began on birth control. My cycles were so irregular I would skip months then bleed an entire 3 weeks straight. The cramps were horrible and my moods were crazy. I examined normal so hormones were to blame. And so therefore began my journey on birth control that would continue the next 15 years. Most birth control methods are estrogen based. I feel like I went through almost every single option. I faithfully followed up with my GYN every 6-12 months. I had numerous ovarian cysts and even a large fibroadenoma in my breast in my teen years. Clearly something was still 'off' but we just kept switching up the birth control, fingers crossed something would work. Oh and the weight was piling on, my hair would come out in clumps in the shower, and my cycles continued to be hell. 

Fast forward to mid-20s. I actually passed out at work. The hot flashes and heart pounding got so bad, I hit the floor. A dear coworker sat me down and I told her what had been going on. She recommended a new GYN that specialized in hormone management. For the first time, someone figured out I was estrogen-dominant. I needed progesterone in my life! So we tried oral progesterone-based birth control but it did nothing. Then moved on to Depo injections. I religiously kept up these injections over the next 5 years. They completely stopped my cycles. I still would 'PMS' about 1 week per month with hot flashes and shakes but never to the extent they used to be. I tried to go off Depo one time but I ended up a complete mess within 2 weeks and went right back on. 

My GYN was the first to recommend a more holistic approach to my health. I wasn't ready at first but eventually I began listening. I often felt ill in the mornings - she recommended smoothies. For quite some time, that sustained me as I managed my hormonal roller coaster. She wanted me to lose weight but that became very difficult with the Depo on board. She was the first to recommend I go gluten free. She advised a total Paleo diet but I settled at gluten free. Going gluten free made a huge impact on my life (there's an entire blog devoted to this).

Now let's fast forward to present day. I began my journey with essential oils and supplements as I was hoping to control my hormones more naturally. I began to support progesterone secretion and suppress adrenaline using Clary Sage, Basil, and Geranium. I used a hormone blend on my abdomen and ankles nightly. I started using a high quality multivitamin and omega supplement. After 6 months, I felt I was 'ready'. I had my last Depo injection in November of 2014. I would have been due in January. As I sit here writing this, I am still holding strong months into this transition. I am feeling the PMS hit much harder for about a week each month. I sense my IBS kick up and my shakes and 'personal-summers' become much more obvious. But they are the best they have ever been! I am careful to limit my caffeine, keep my foods very clean, and work out as often as possible! I also use a progesterone cream on my forearms before bed which seems to help. My cycles have not yet restarted but I know that can take some time. 

Why am I telling you this? Because as I journey forward towards a more natural approach to everything in my life, hormones are my biggest enemy and I know that's true for many of you out there. They have the ability to control every day. One physician I saw told me to always remember I am in charge and never let them keep me from doing what I want to do! That's because that's when the anxiety and depression can creep in. So hang in there and grab a hold of your life - don't let hormones control it!

Ok wait, what are hormones? Guess I probably should address this. Let's get scientific for a moment. Hormones are signaling molecules. I could discuss all of them but that would be exhausting so let's not and just focus on what we need to talk about! Let's gear this talk towards women. The three hormones important to our monthly cycles are estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. Let's explore the ups and downs week by week.

  • Week 1:
    • Progesterone and estrogen are at rock bottom the first day of your period and will begin to rise from here. Symptoms commonly include fatigue due to low estrogen the first few days followed by energy increase as hormone levels begin to elevate.
    • Note - you should do your self-breast exam around day 7!
  • Week 2:
    • Estrogen and testosterone will rise this entire week. You should feel the most energetic, optimistic, flirtatious, and impulsive. You will find yourself accomplishing tasks faster and more efficiently. And if you have a partner in your life, this is the best week to have sex!
    • Caution - rising estrogen can trigger anxiety. If you are prone to anxiety, all this energy can cause you to feel overwhelmed. Try to keep things in perspective and manage your anxious feelings before they get too strong. 
  • Week 3:
    • Ovulation kicks off this week which triggers a decrease in estrogen and testosterone. As these two decline, progesterone starts to rise. As estrogen begins to decline, you may feel a bit weepy. And if you are sensitive to increase in progesterone, this may only worsen the feelings. It's like a little pre-PMS. Isn't that lovely? As estrogen and testosterone decrease and the sedating progesterone increases, you may feel sluggish and not as motivated. Interestingly, progesterone can cause you to have difficulty finding words, cause forgetfulness, and trigger constipation and/or bloating. 
    • Drink water and load up on fiber during this week! And exercise! Progesterone increases fat-burning ability by up to 30% more than normal! Exercise and eating complex carbs will also help your brain feel more happy.
  • Week 4:
    • PMS week has arrived and your estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone have all checked out! The levels are plummeting and you're likely feeling the effects. As estrogen dives off, your mood may change at the drop of a hat. Estrogen also helps with pain and serotonin so as this drops, many experience more migraines, aches, and insomnia.
    • To help yourself navigate this difficult week, you want to focus on boosting serotonin. Complex carbohydrates, exercising, and shopping can all help give your brain a boost! PMS symptoms specifically can be helped by supplementing calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D. And try to limit caffeine - I know, easier said than done but it really does help!
So we have three very important hormones in our lives. Many are imbalanced, probably more than aren't. How many women have you talked to that love their cycle? Exactly. So everyone could probably benefit from some hormone balancing techniques. Here's a summary of how you can help yourself feel better. 
  • Take a good multivitamin and omega supplement!
    • Make sure there is enough B6 and magnesium in your daily dose - if not, supplement these further
  • Exercise and maintain a healthy weight!
    • Over-exercising and being under-weight is NOT what we are going for here - keep a good balance and feel comfortable in your body
  • Eat right for you!
    • Consider decreasing grains (especially gluten) and increasing lean meats, fruits, and vegetables for a high protein and nutrient dense diet
  • Use holistic methods, such as essential oils!
    • Clary Sage, Basil, Thyme, Geranium, and more!
  • Talk to your health care provider!
    • Have a good relationship with your health care provider and be open and honest with them
Hang in there and keep your head up! If you are interested in essential oils, please contact me!

No comments:

Post a Comment