Monday, May 18, 2015

The Big Move

This Michigander Was Never Going to Move...


Ah, the famous statement: I'll never leave Michigan! I could never move away from my family and friends! Today's post is about my most recent journey from Michigan to Virginia and why chasing scary dreams can be the best decisions of your life!

This was absolute truth up until a year ago. I had graduated with my Master of Science in Nursing, had passed the boards and obtained my Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner certification, obtained all my Michigan licenses, and then, well, nothing. I went on interviews. I job hunted daily. Where had all the NP jobs gone? Shoot, where had all the Michigan jobs gone? When I entered school, it was a position in high demand. 3 short years later and I'm on every job site you can imagine with no luck. 

Then, an opportunity presented itself. I found an ER job for a pediatric nurse practitioner. My dream job? Could it be? I read the post eagerly. It didn't require previous experience. They were open to training new grads. But, then there was the BIG catcher..... it was in Virginia! 

Virginia.... definitely a state I had never visited before. Wasn't even on my consideration list. But as I read the job description out loud to a coworker, God sent a little message. My coworker asked me to tell him the name of the hospital again, and so I did. He said "hey, I know where that is!". Turned out he had family in Virginia Beach and his baby girl got sick while visiting them and ended up hospitalized at the place I was looking at for a job. He told me it was a great hospital, they received good care, and I should just apply and see what happens. So I did. 

It took months, but suddenly I got a phone call. They were interested in me! Really? Could this be true? I had 2 phone interviews and then they asked the big scary question.... will you get on a plane and come interview in person? Between getting on a plane and going to interview - I was shaking like a leaf! But hey, an adventure to Virginia Beach? A mini vacation? And my Mom can come with? Us ladies took to the sky in February of 2014 and placed our faith in God to guide this journey of mine in the right direction.


Mom and I explored Virginia Beach. We were blessed with a few 70 degree days to enjoy the oceanfront. I interviewed and it went wonderfully. I absolutely loved everyone I met and the hospital. And not 48 hours after arriving back in Michigan, my phone rang yet again. Now was the biggest question of all.... will you accept a position in our ER here in Virginia? My heart about raced right out of my chest. They had hinted to me during the interview this call may come but there's still nothing like the adrenaline rush of actually receiving it. And then the words came out of my mouth "YES!"

So began the paperwork and prep of moving. And endless nights of crying, asking God if I made the right decision, wondering if I could really do this. Was it too late to change my mind? Was I really going through with this? I was the girl that would never leave home.....

The month of May was a flurry of events. Gatherings and celebrations with friends and family. Of course a curve ball came my way as one more round of strep throat just in time to pack my apartment up for the big move (HUGE thanks to my parents who bailed me out and spent endless hours packing with me). And then on May 29th, my brother and I hit the road. My Equinox was packed to the limits and we spent the next 13 hours together driving to Virginia Beach. 


God bless my brother! I don't think I could have made the trip down here without him. Endless support through every emotion I think one could possibly experience. He spent a long weekend with me here, sleeping on air mattresses and eating off cardboard boxes in my big, empty apartment. And then I dropped him off at the airport - hugged him so tight. Suddenly what felt like a dream became a reality. My Michigan life came to an abrupt end and now, here I was in Virginia. Living in an empty apartment, waiting on my moving truck to finally arrive, and praying - oh endless praying - that I had made the right decision.


After 8 long days, my stuff finally arrived. Almost no damage which was impressive for packing up my own stuff! I quickly unpacked and made this empty apartment a home. My parents came shortly after and I enjoyed their time here. We explored the area and had a wonderful time! I began my job while my mom was still here which made the transition that much easier. I absolutely loved sharing my new life with them. 



Within a short period of time, God blessed me with a wonderful new group of friends. I developed amazing new friendships and yet continued to be visited throughout the summer by my dear old friends. It was wonderful to introduce my new friends to my old friends and see my life begin to take a new shape. My job was challenging but a great new experience. Sure, the first time I got sick was scary! When things didn't work right back in Michigan, my family wasn't 20 minutes away. But I grew and I adapted. Technology helps with this a ton! I learned new ways to manage stress and number one was activity in the sunshine! My apartment was 5 blocks from an oceanfront. I quickly found my love of the ocean, sand, and seashells. I realized this place held a joy for me that was new and inspiring and I continue to look forward to enjoying each and every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment